Caramel Slice recipe
This is one of my favourite recipes. It was passed on to me by a friend and now I am passing it on to you. I hope you enjoy making and eating this caramel slice.
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2/3 cup of dessicated coconut
- 2/3 cup of self raising flour
- 85g of melted unsalted butter (For the base)
- 1 can of condensed milk (395g)
- 30g of butter for caramel filling
- 2 Tablespoons of golden syrup
- 150g of chocolate (dark or milk)
160 degrees for fan forced oven
- Mix brown sugar, coconut and flour in large bowl.
- Stir in the melted butter making sure all the dry ingredients are absorbed by the butter.
- Using a 20cm slice pan lined with baking paper, press the mixture into the bottom forming a base in the pan.
- Place base in oven for 10-12 minutes until golden brown.
- Let the base cool for 10 minutes before starting on the next step.
- In a saucepan over medium heat melt the better and golden syrup together.
- When butter and golden syrup is well blended add the can of condensed milk stirring continuously for 7-10 minutes. You will notice the caramel thickening after about 8 minutes.
- After caramel thickens, pour over the cooked base spreading the mixture over evenly.
- Put pan back into the oven and cook for a further 10-12 minutes until the caramel is bubbling and the border is slightly raised.
- Let the caramel and base cool completely before starting the next step.
- Melt the chocolate in a bowl over a pot of boiling water or in the microwave and pour over the cooled caramel layer ensuring that the chocolate layer is even.
- Place slice into the fridge to set for 30 minutes.
- When the slice is set, cut into squares and enjoy.
The slice is good for 4 days after cooking, if they even last that long ;)
Keep slice squares in an airtight container in the fridge.
Pin It Now!